Men’s Basketball | Sunday, November 20, 2022 at 1:00 p.m
Brunswick, Ga.- The Coastal Georgia men’s basketball team (1-5 (0-2)) meets USC Aiken (1-2) on Monday, November 21 at 7:30 p.m. in Aiken, SC.
Newcomers Nick Jiles and Mason McMurray have been the focus of the Mariners’ offense this season. McMurray, a transfer from USC Aiken, is averaging 16.7 points and 11.0 rebounds per game while shooting 53.2 percent from the field. Jiles leads the team with 17.7 points and 5.0 assists per game.
Returners Anthony Duncan, Rodney Wiley Jr. and Kenny Brown are also having productive minutes, averaging 10 points, 9.5 points and 7.5 points per game, respectively.
Torey James and Layton Veon got their first action as Mariners after being redshirts for all of last season. Veon is averaging 6.3 points over three games while James lost nine points on his debut against Ave Maria.
The Mariners are coming off a tough couple of Sun Conference games. Their 26-point loss to Southeastern was their biggest loss since they lost to Fire by 28 points in the 2019-20 season. The Mariners were half a second away from sending the game into overtime against Ave Maria, but Jiles’ last-second three didn’t let go of his hand before the buzzer sounded, allowing the Gyrenes to edge to Coastal Georgia 71-68 to sneak past.
As a team, the Mariners were good at limiting turnovers but couldn’t find their shot. They hit shots at just under 40 percent while their threes fall at a 30 percent rate. Opponents are averaging Coastal Georgia by 11 points, largely due to the fact that they shoot 46 percent against the Mariners and have nearly five more field goals. When Coastal Georgia can find their rhythm, it can be a tough team.
Scouting USC Aiken:
- The Pacers are led by backcourt Tehree Horn and Tyler Johnson, who are averaging 19 and 17.3 points per game, respectively.
- Horn and Johnson are also the team’s lead rebounders, combing for 14 a game.
- 6’5 freshman wing Karon Boyd made an early impression for the Pacers. He is third on the team averaging 11.7 points per game and third with an average of 5.3 rebounds per game.
- USC Aikens 6’10 forward DeShawn Thomas anchors the defense. He blocked an impressive eight shots in the team’s first three games. In the team’s final game, an 83-61 win over Anderson, Thomas had nine points and four blocks, making his impact felt on both sides of the ball.
- Head Coach Mark Vanderslice is entering his eighth year at the helm of USC Aiken. Last year his team went 17-12 before losing to Columbus State in the PBC tournament.
Live Stats: https://pacersports.com/sidearmstats/mbball/summary
Live video: https://pbcsportsnetwork.com/aiken/