I even paid for the postage, in the hopes that I would have my money refunded. Ultimately. That decision has been causing me sleepless nights. Of course, no amount of money would make up for the harm caused. I did, however, want the product to be removed from the shelves (as it were) until proper tests could be conducted.
The lady who contacted me kept on insisting that it was just a bad batch. But what if it’s more than that? What if there is a serious problem with production? I guess, I will never know.